Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Notd: Essie Not just a pretty face ft NYX Sparkles

Essie Not just a pretty face (3 coats) £8.99/€12 // NYX Girls nail polish Sparkles* £2.50/€2.90
I know, I know. Another gradient nail look. Uh, sorry?
The thing is I really wanted to try this pretty glitter mix but I didn't feel like doing a full-on glitter nail thing, since I'm not usually much of a silver girl.
And I'm slightly obsessed with gradients, okay. They're such a nice, easy way to spice up a plain nail varnish and look effortlessly elegant, I think.

NYX Sparkles* is a nice mix of small light silver glitters. It's thin enough that can be used both as a top coat and a solid glitter polish and could easily reach full opacity in 3 coats. The glitters spread nicely and the texture doesn't feel gritty.
For the base I picked one of the 'nail-growth' shades in my collection. I call those like that because if one of my nails breaks and I have to shorten them all - aw, shucks! -, with this kind of shades I can still look polished and tidy without attracting to much attention to my short nails, since I'm not a fan of brights and dark shades on too short finger-nails.
Essie Not just a pretty face is a light neutral pink with jelly finish. It's quite sheer and the tiny brush doesn't help much with the coverage: I had to apply 3 thin layers to cover the half-moons but I like the result nonetheless. It's the kind of office-safe nail polish that we all have in our collections; you might call it boring, but you know I like my nudes.

Against all expectations, because I tend to reach for golds and warmer shades instead of silver, I really like the final result. The pink and silver mix feels sweet and dreamy without being boring.
How do you feel about glitter gradients? Yay or nay?

***
Lo so, lo so. Un altro look con gradiente glitter. Chiedo scusa...
Il problema è che volevo proprio provare questo grazioso mix di glitter, ma non mi piaceva l'idea di un effetto glitter pieno, visto che non amo tantissimo l'argento.
E poi sono ossessionata dai gradienti, va bene. Trovo che siano un modo facile e veloce per rendere speciale uno smalto non troppo particolare ed ottenere un effetto elegante senza sforzo.

NYX Sparkles* è un grazioso mix di piccoli glitter argento chiaro. E' molto fluido, per cui non crea spessore e si può utilizzare tranquillamente sia come top coat sia come smalto glitter pieno, che risulta opaco in 3 passate. I glitter si spargono in modo uniforme ed una volta asciutto non ha una texture sabbiosa.
Per la base ho scelto uno dei colori 'da ricrescita' della mia collezione. Li chiamo così perchè sono colori discreti, perfetti per quando mi si spezza un unghia e - mannaggia! - sono costretta ad accorciarle tutte, perchè garantiscono un effetto curato senza attirare troppo l'attenzione sulle unghie corte; non mi piacciono proprio gli smalti accesi o scuri sulle unghie.
Not just a pretty face di Essie è un rosa chiaro neutro con finish jelly. E' piuttosto trasparente ahimè, ed il pennellino piccolo piccolo non è particolarmente d'aiuto: per raggiungere questa opacità mi ci sono volute 3 passate ma il risultato mi piace comunque. E' quel genere di colore-da-ufficio che tutte abbiamo nella nostra collezione; noioso, direte voi, ma sapete che adoro gli smalti effetto nudo.

Contro ogni previsione, visto che di solito preferisco oro ed altri colori caldi all'argento, il risultato finale mi è piaciuto tantissimo e so già che sfrutterò molto questa combinazione.
A voi piacciono i gradienti glitter? Cosa fate per rendere uno smalto più frizzante?

0 comments:

Post a Comment